Wednesday, April 21, 2010



How cool is this?

As part of the True Grit project, Mr. Kevin Jones, Ms. Susan Whitlow, Dr. Dennis Siler, Mr. Roy Hill, and Mrs. Jacqulyn West of the Department of English and Rhetoric filmed a historic adaptation of the courtroom scene from Charles Portis' novel, True Grit on April 20th in cooperation with the Fort Smith National Historic Site. Students from Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honor Society and others worked to complete filming in the exhibit of Judge Isaac C. Parker's courtroom at the Fort Smith National Historic Site downtown. Mr. Jones directed this short scene and adapted a shooting script from the novel with much input from English faculty. The short film, "The Gritty Film Project" will be shown later this semester and in the summer on campus, at the Fort Smith Public Library, and for future classroom use. Students involved with the filming included Shawn Mann, Stephanie Raney, Johnathan Morgan, John West, Beau Berrera, Kathryn Feather, and Cara Hewett.

I cannot wait to see how this turns out. Fantastic work and thanks to all those involved. Very cool.

6 comments:

  1. I really forgot that anyone might watch this when I agreed to do it, and while shooting. I had a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan Whitlow said...

    I think everyone had fun with this. Kevin did such a great job, and Roy and Jack rocked as Cogburn and Mattie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really cool! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I toured the Holt bldg. to view my classmates projects. They were awesome. The house was great. Rats=Outlaws. Kudos

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sure wish I could have posted some pictures of my classes projects. They were all so good! I knew when I assigned the "quote project" to this class that they would do a wonderful job, and they did. Like Becky said KUDOS to you all! You made me proud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you ever visit Fort Smith, AR you must go visit the old jail/downtown/courtroom. Stroll down Garrison ave. and live life for a second in Mattie's shoes. It was awesome. This is 3/3 visits.

    Becky Bowers

    ReplyDelete