Monday, January 25, 2010

Chapter Six



Well, this is a picture of the Ft. Gibson Road, a famous part of what's called the Texas Trail. Much of this part of the story today takes place on this road. There are, evidently, several interesting places along the road--Limestone Gap, for instance. We get a real sense of the country riding with Mattie and Rooster and LaBoeuf. The weather kind of surprises me. The snow in particular. It adds lots to the story though. The fog, the snow, the cold.

We see acts of kindness--well, in a gruff sort of way--from Rooster in setting the mule free. Is this the influence of Mattie? She would say so. But it's also indicative, perhaps, that Rooster doesn't like to see anything abused.

The thing that strikes me most about the chapter--and there is much here, of course--is the amount of storytelling they do. This chapter is chock full of action, but there's also lots of talking: Mattie gives us more of her religious opinion, which is the only thing she has more opinions on than . . . well, she has lots of opinions about everything. On page 110, she just comes right out and address the reader as "you" and tells us that the Doctrine of Election was good enough for Paul and Silas and so it's good enough for "you," too, dear reader. Well, ok, Mattie. All through this chapter, which obviously contains lots of action, they tell stories and tell tales. Rooster's are the "stretchiest" of course and he almost gets into with LaBoeuf over Quantrill.

There's lots of conversation going on in this chapter about "bushwacking" and "jayhawking." When LaBoeuf says that Quantrill and his gang were bushwackers, Rooster claims not to know what the term means. In fact, they're pretty much planning to bushwack the outlaws. Rooster, in defending his time with Quantrill, uses the term "jayhawkers" to describe the Union soldiers. It's all the same, folks. Bushwacking and jayhawking are both terms used to describe guerrilla warfare. Interesting.

Great scene crossing the river in the fog, riding miles in the cold and the snow. Does Mattie have the grit for it? You bet. They camp. Good descriptions of the the camp food, corn dodgers in particular. And of course we have lots of fun with the corn dodgers later in the chapter. Details, details, details. The rope loop to keep the snakes away, the pale yellow dawn, stopping to water the horses by the San Bois mountains.

More great language: "I wish he was in hell with his back broke!" Mattie sees Quincy and Moon as "theives" in a cave. Hmm. She stands up to Quincy and won't take any bullying. Grit. She gathers firewood and hauls water in the dark. Grit. It makes Rooster and LaBoeuf care for here. After the shooting the first thing they do is check on her, even before they see if the thieves are dead. Grit is contagious. Mattie and Rooster and even LaBouef start showing their grit.

Great exchange with Rooster and Moon after Quincy is killed. "Don't be looking for Quincy (in heaven)." Moon responds "He never played me false until he killed me." Ha.

Rooster and LaBoeuf take turns standing up to each other for Mattie. Fun. She's won them both over. Grit.

Well, it's hard to believe there's only one chapter left. Must be a doozy. I'll find out tomorrow.

14 comments:

  1. Once again, I shall comment! I plan to comment until you finish posting blogs.I agree with everything that you are posting about the book. I believe in this chapter, Matie and Cogburn becomes more of something like a father daughter relationship. I like how Cogburn criticizes La Bouef for his unusual habit. La Boeuf acts sort of inattentive and trigger happy, but he is starting to show that he has a little grie. Finally, he is getting with the Grit Program. On the other hand, I think mattie is a Tomboy. She remains a tough, outspoken and self reliant female.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's funny how LeBoeuf does not have the spotlight shining on him this chapter. He seems to be saying some "tough" things to Mattie.

    I do agree with that this chapter has more storytelling of each individual. I learned a lot about Rooster Cogburn's character and was a little surprised that he did some unlawful things before he became Marshall. And Mattie seem to prove herself a really strong person as she seem to know what to do in every situation with helping out around the camp and riding as long as Rooster seemed appropriate. She's the one that I believe has the true grit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This chapter was one packed with lots of action and vivid details. I cringed to myself while reading the part where Quincy had chopped off Moon's fingers. A lot went on in this chapter and I think that a very significant part was the finding of Frank's gold piece. This told Rooster, Mattie, and LaBeouf that they were hot on the tail of outlaw Tom Chaney. I also must note that I laughed at loud when Rooster fell off his horse from drinking a little too much whiskey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that this chapter does have more storytelling than any other chapter did. Rooster's stories turned out to be quite interesting. I do think that Mattie's grit is rubbing off on both Rooster and La Beouf. It's funny that neither of the men wanted Mattie along on the journey and now she's the first person they check on, even before the men they just shot. I guess her grit is contagious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that Labeouf defends Mattie to Cogburn! I love the fact that she has proven herself and someone is standing up for her for once. I am really happy that the other characters are starting to see what we the readers have seen from the beginning - that Mattie has Grit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather in this chapter is surprising! Mattie says they got 6 or 7 inches within 4 hours. That can be compared to our "winter storm" this past weekend. I know it doesn't happen very often nowadays, but I wonder if it was more common back then?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is defintitely the most exciting chapter so far. Like i've said before, the main part of the book moves sort of slow getting the reader closer to the characters. This chapter is more action packed with shooting and unfortunatelt killing. However its almost like its the great final build up the conclusion of the story. I cant wait to finally finish chapter 7 and see where this book takes us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr.Mystery said..
    well from the daring nature of Mattie to the graphic violence whether it is chopping Moon's fingers off to shooting Quincy, this book has proved itself to be quite unexpectedly good. what seems interesting is that Mattie found one of the gold pieces on the convicts so they must be connected to Tom.
    I especially like the part about bushwacking which if you do not know refers to a tactic known as guerilla warfare. In the jungle the gorilla makes its way through the dense forest by breaking the trees and vines thus the term was coined, it literally means to ambush prey by going into dense regions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The beginning of this chapter is my favorite part, because Mattie is trying to keep her character and not show her weakness. As she narrates she says, “I was hungry and aching but I kept my peace for I knew the both of them were waiting for me to complain or say something that would make me out a “tenderfoot.” I was determined not to give them anything to chaff me about (pg108).” This makes me laugh to think shes trying to act tough and not complain. I have to give her credit because most young girls would whine.
    Erica H

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I agree that this chapter has a lot of story telling. I enjoyed reading it all. I learned about Rooster's past. It was quite fascinating that he has a wife and son.
    When the words, "bushwhacking," and "jayhawking," came up, i did not know what they were. So i did not understand the text real well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also agree that this chapter had more and action and definitely more storytelling. In a way it was nice to learn more about Rooster Cogburn, even if some of the stories were stretching. I look at it as he feels comfortable enough with the other two to let them in on his life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great chapter! I do wanna point out, out of all the bible verses she listed, only one had to do with elections...which confused me did the writer not read those verses before putting them in the book or what? and wow has she witnessed some graphic stuff! chopped off fingers, a stabbing, a ton of shootings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes this was a great chapter of story telling and action! Mattie even explained how she was close enough to see the fingers fly and the warm splash of blood she got she got when Quincy got shot. It was also a good scene that showed LaBoeuf and Cogburns feeling towards Mattie and making sure she was safe. I can't wait for the next one! I am wishing for even more action and can't wait to see what happens how and when they catch Chaney.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chapter 6 was the best so far! The excitement and humor Portis injected into this chapter was great. I really wish i had seen more of it before now. I really couldn't get into the book until this chapter and wish the rest of the book had the same effect.

    ReplyDelete