Friday, January 15, 2010

Chapter One and Guerilla Action


I spent a good hour posting flyers about this blog around the campus yesterday. I'm hoping that some more curious students and some more interested faculty will come and read the blog.

If you are just joining us for the first time, you might want to jump back to the archives and read up on what we're doing. Post a response to the blog entries, too. That's the only way we know you're reading. Blogs should be interactive, after all.

I've purposefully saved my reading of the novel for now. I didn't want to read ahead. So I only read chapter one today. As I had been told, language and character are obviously going to be key to the novel's success. Mattie tells the story in her own voice and it's a strong one. I've heard her compared to Twain's Huck Finn, and she really seems that evocative. She's that strong a character already, and this is just chapter one. Portis must have known that he was on to something as soon as he began writing in Mattie's voice.

Coincidentally, I've been reading lots of memoirs because I'm helping a friend write hers, and the book starts out a lot like a true story, like a memoir. So I guess it's "postmodern," too, in that there's a "frame" of the storyteller telling us the story. Of course, my old American Lit professor would just call it Romantic Irony (he didn't believe in postmodernism), and point out that Poe did this all the time--had the narrator speak to the reader, that is.

Interestingly, people who write memoirs often have trouble connecting to their emotions regarding horrible things that have happened to them. They tend to write them very flatly. Mattie starts out a bit like that--like what we would consider an abused personality. She's recounting the tale of her father's death but it's emotionally flat. Except you can feel the anger boiling beneath the surface.

Don't forget that if you're faculty and you want to see the movie or show it to your classes, let me know ahead of time. I only have three copies. I do have some copies of the text, too. Let me know if you want to read along and you need one. Those of you who are in classes that are reading the book already have yours, of course!

Now go and do. And read. And respond to the blog.

4 comments:

  1. Hey how about a flyer or two for the library? We'd love to have some.

    Also, we promoted this blog on Boreham Library's Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Fort-Smith-AR/University-of-Arkansas-Fort-Smith-Boreham-Library/183642215945) a few weeks ago but I think it's time to do it again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bring some by. Let me know how else I can help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, are you suggesting -- or following along someone else suggesting -- that frame stories are always postmodern? Frames are a pretty old trope to be classified as postmodern.

    Ok, I'm starting tonight. I needed something new to read around the house. Thanks!

    Laura W

    ReplyDelete
  4. My response to young Mattie Ross’ character is that she is a very brave, courageous, strong girl for her age. Most girls at her age don’t have big plans on their mind like her, avenging her father’s blood. I know that when I was that young, I wouldn’t have had the guts to do any of that or even travel without my parents with me. Mattie definitely in my opinion had true grit. Maybe many people look at the story as Roosters character as the one with true grit, but I view Mattie’s character as brave and independent and certainly having grit. I admire her for being able to be a strong woman and stand up for herself and not let people run over her no matter who they are.
    Erica H

    ReplyDelete