Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Chapter Seven



Well, I don't want to give too much away if you haven't read the ending of the book but, yes, that is a ball of snakes for today's picture! Snakes WILL ball up like that.

It is a rousing ending to a great book. For sure. I was in mind of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer for some reason--the cave, of course, but it's more than that. The dark description, the pace of the action, and the closeness of the narration to Mattie reminded me of the ending of Tom Sawyer. Of course, I'm not the first to make the connection, although Mattie is usually compared to Huck and not Tom. I think she's more akin to Tom, really. She has the same bold naivete, doesn't she? Still, it might make an interesting piece of research to find out what was on Portis' shelf and what he thought of Twain.

I won't reveal too much about the plot in case folks are reading this before they finish, but Tom Chaney underestimates Mattie's grit, as we knew he would, and Rooster gets a chance to show that he's not all talk. And Mattie is put in a most unwieldy position. Will it cost her an arm and leg to get out? Almost!

Great stuff with the bandits--you knew they'd catch up with them, didn't you? These are some great roles for the Coen Brothers to fill. Who would you cast as Lucky Ned Pepper and The Original Greaser Bob? I have to watch the movie now--the old one with John Wayne--to see who played them in that.

One interesting item appears on page 177, where you can see what I think is Mattie's being sort of sucked in by the beginning of the glorification of outlaw culture that you saw in the Depression era. Mattie starts making a distinction between "trash" outlaws and those that were "not so simple" and "not altogether rotten." Hm. Interesting. Also some classic descriptions of how good people go bad. Mattie had never thought of an outlaw having a childhood and how that childhood might contribute to him choosing "the hoot-owl trail" (I'll never tire of that phrase). Is Portis wandering in the area of American Naturalism and Realism? It does read sort of like Crane or Norris, doesn't it? Or is it just me? I think you could make the argument that this is really a book that belongs to that era. It's hard to think of this book, which came out in 1968, as belonging to the same era as 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), The Crying of Lot 49 (1966) and Slaughterhouse-Five (1969). This is, of course, why the book is overlooked as a serious piece of fiction. I think it will be appreciated with time. There is certainly much new research that could be written about this book from the perspective of 2010.

Some funny stuff amidst all the action: Mattie starts offering the services of her lawyer to Ned Pepper. Chaney keeps talking about how "nothing is going right for me." No kidding. I'm just glad Mattie's old Dragoon pistol works when she needs it to. As she says, if she was any kind of a gunman, then she'd have a better gun.

I'm kind of surprised that Mattie doubts the "officers," as she sometimes calls Rooster and LaBoeuf. Of course we know they haven't abandoned her. Rooster certainly proves his grit and Mattie's response?: "No grit? Rooster Cogburn? Not much."

Well, there's just so much at the end and I don't want to give it away if you haven't read it. Everybody has grit at the end, even poor little Blackie. I guess Rooster just did what he had to do. Poor Blackie, though, that was the hardest part of the book. And Rooster. What a fitting end. Just like the old west--fading into the sunset.

I just love it when things live up to the hype.

Next: The Movie! I'm just glad I didn't see it before reading the book.-

18 comments:

  1. I agree completely that this has the feel of Norris, but it isn't nearly so dark. True, the ending isn't exactly happy, but I don't have the doomed feeling of destiny lurking behind every move like I do in true Naturalist tales.

    I'm also with you on the change to the pace at the end. It DOES seem like Tom Sawyer's acceleration, and I appreciate your taking me to that comparison.

    As a feminist, I'm thinking about what the ending says about women with "true grit." I assume we all agree that Mattie has it, but does having grit single women out for a less feminine life?

    Laura W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point about the ending. I wondered if we'd get more of clue about why Mattie had never married. I think you're probably right--in the world of this novel, the woman with grit can't really belong to the "normal" social order. Not just yet; she's gotta be the school marm or the spinster. Well, it could be worse. We might draw a line from Lily Bart in the House of Mirth to Mattie in True Grit to . . . well, who? What happens to women with grit in the novels of today?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robert Duvall appears as Lucky Ned Pepper, which I only really noticed when he calls out, "Too thin!"

    That's apparently Dennis Hopper as Moon, and Carlos Rivas as "Dirty Bob", all according to moviefone.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was very impressed with how portis was able to bring the story to a very intense climax and be able to maintain that sense of urgency even when mattie was pulled from the pit and then he brings the story back to a less anxious level so you can breath and ties up all of the loose ends.

    lesser authers would have been able to attain the level of anxiety but to be able to bring that level back down to lighter ending without bottoming out the readers emotions is a true art form that is taken for granted by many readers.

    portis showed his true skill as an auther in this chapter more than in the chapters that preceded it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The last chapter just made the book great! Rooster, La Beouf, and Mattie all proved to have grit, and lots of it. And you can't forget Little Blackie. I hate what had to happen to him though. I have to say I admire Mattie for how she handled all of the situations she was put in. I think I would have doubted the "officers" as well, just because of the situation. The ending was no surprise to me, especially the part about Rooster. It seems so fitting. What a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This really was a great book. I wish that Rooster had kept in touch with Mattie but I wonder if the reason he didn't is that he felt guilty about the loss of her arm. I didn't like the abuse done to Blackie but the urgency that Rooster felt could be looked upon as proof that he came to respect and care for her.
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was very disappointed with the ending. I felt like an ending to such a book should have been longer, more drawn out and grand. I also felt like the ending wasn't exactly the happy ending you hope for with tough stories. Maybe the movie will fit my expectations more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely have to say that this book does live up to its title, "True Grit". Mattie, Cogburn, LeBoeuf, and even Little Blackie proved to be strong characters in the book. I was a little disappointed in the end when Mattie never saw LeBoeuf and Cogburn again after they had helped her out so much. I wonder why Portis ended it this way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This chapter had the action I was looking for! I thought it was a good ending. Her story gets told after having a few twist with unpredictable Characters and failing guns. In the end you see that everyone lived up to their name and Mattie gets what she wanted but with a price to pay. was it worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved how chapter 7 had so much drama and it was filled with a great climax. Mattie, LaBoeuf, Cogburn and Little Blackie all proved to have grit. But for some reason I knew the book would have a happy ending just like the readers would expect. Finally Mattie was getting hurt and dealing with alot of pain and issues. Not that I wanted her to get hurt though. It would just be unbelievable if she went through all that drama and was lucky, no major scars, or much pain. I was hoping Poetis would be realist about the danger and consquences that cames with making the decision Mattie made about catching Tom Chaney. The ending wasn't a surprise but the way it was ending was.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone really does have grit in this chapter! Even LaBoeuf, who was knocked senseless! And surprisingly it wasn’t by Rooster or Mattie! Rooster an older man running through the Indian Territory for a doctor, LaBoeuf, with a “broken head” helping get Rooster and Mattie out of the hole! CRAZY…best chapter though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I first started this book, I was not very thrilled to be reading it. “It’s just an old western,” I told myself. I was completely wrong about this book. True Grit was an amazing read and I will be reading it again and again. Thank you for introducing me to this story, and bringing my love of reading back to life. I haven’t felt like I had the extra time to sit and read anymore, but now I want to find a comfy spot and read away!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw man, Sir why don't you just give it all away? There's less stuff to talk about if you do that. x/ I was hoping to discuss how Ned was dying for those banknotes to be signed. I thought it was quite funny how stupid he was. On page 187 when Mattie says, "Who will believe that Mr. Whelper signs his banknotes with a stick," that part cracked me up. She really looks down on those people. Mattie is a rather arrogant character. =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. This last chapter showed how caring Mattie is. It was sad about her horse dying, though I understand why Rooster did it. It was his best chance of saving her life. Because of him, she grew up to take care of her mother when her siblings ran out. She never forgot LeBouef or Rooster. As ironic as it is, they were possibly the best thing to happen to her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was really pleased with how this chapter turned out. As I have said before I really wasn't too fond of Mattie due to her sassy attitude and her spoiled nature. However in this chapter she was forced to show that she actually had some grit. Rooster wasn't there to hold her hand the whole way. She had to use a little instinct and survive on her own.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ricky, you yourself have a sassy attitude. How come you don't care for Mattie's? ;) I agree with you, Dean. Blackie's death was saddening to me. I understand Rooster's motives, but that was just hard to read. I suppose that really happened in the wild, Wild west. I'm glad we have cars around today. Atleast we don't have to hurt them to make them go faster...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really didn't like this chapter, agreeing with most people about what happens to little blackie. I was very sad, but I dont know what I would have done so I guess he made the right decision. I think Mattie was very brave for hanging on while she was stuck, and had a lot of guts to pull the bones over to brace her. It was a very good ending though.
    Erica H

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mr.Mystery said,
    Well an end to a good beginning. A bit abrupt was it not with the massive turn of events of losing her arm to losing friendships. I am intrigued by the portrayal of a "tough" woman. Ever since the start, woman have been seen in such helpless positions and at the mercy of some evil. it really shakes things up by showing such grit in Mattie. The fact that she never married is a bit denouncing of girls that share qualities with her but none-the-less it was a great book with its unigue look on things.

    ReplyDelete