Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Chapter Three



That's a forty-four forty Colt's revolver in the picture, by the way.

If you want to comment, and I hope you do, don't be afraid to do so. It will ask you to identify yourself but if you're unsure of how to do that just go in anonymous and sign your name to your post. Don't be afraid to comment. Now, on to today's reading (for me, at least).

Wow, this is a great chapter! There is just so much in it! First we have Mattie's opinion of Federalists and Republicans. I'm with you, Mattie, all the way. Then we see her deal-making with the auctioneer (which will be a great role for a good character actor or a cameo in the new movie, by the way). It's a fine piece of writing. Portis was really on his game for this book, that's obvious. I like page 36, where we get three pieces of sage advice from Mattie on one page--don't eat too much, take a nap after you eat, and cover yourself while sleeping. I'll remember that, Mattie. I also like her list of bad people: murderers, robbers, train wreckers, bigamists, and counterfeiters. These are, as she says people who have ridden "the hoot-owl trail" and tasted the fruits of evil. Hilarious.

An interesting passage next: Mattie's brief history of Fort Smith politics (which I assume is mostly accurate) and then her assessment of the publishing industry. It's interesting that she identifies herself here as a writer. How do you make a young teenage girl like Mattie come alive when you're Charles Portis, a young man? Well, you give her the same interests, the same inclinations, and (most probably) the same opinions. Never confuse the narrator with the author, though. Right? Still . . .

Well, then there's the testimony of Rooster Cogburn written out as if it were dialogue in a play. Reminds me of Moby Dick, wherein Melville inserts chapters that are just suddenly in dramatic format. Interesting. It's a whalloping good tale, too, that comes out. Really, really well-written scene. Just too good.

I've notice now that Mattie has several times judged people strictly by looking at them. She looks at Odus Wharton at the end of that scene and imagines that she can see exactly how evil he is. I have a feeling that is going to get her into trouble at some point.

This so far would be a tremendous chapter, but then we also get the first scenes of Mattie with Rooster. In the first, she demonstrates her worth as a cigarette roller while beginning her persuasion. She's thought this through, and we're sure she'll get her way.

Then comes the scene in Rooster's "lair" where they share a meal and "make medicine." Good grief, I hope that the Coen's are true to the book here. This is just a fabulous scene, full of dark atmosphere and colorful language. Rooster doesn't have to buy his whisky, "he confiscates it." He's drinking "double-rectified bust-head from Madison County." I think I've had some of that! The big point of the scene comes at the end, though, when Rooster demonstrates that you can't "serve papers" on a rat. That's what Mattie's looking for.

Ha! Great stuff. A rollicking fine tale, as they say!

9 comments:

  1. Some thoughts on this chapter:

    First thought: Was anyone else a fan of "Deadwood" on HBO? Stonehill's dialect reminds me of "Deadwood": "The marshal travels about friendless and alone in that criminal nation." or "The offer is more than liberal and I only make it to avoid the possibility of troublesome litigation." (pp30-31)

    I picture Ian McShane's Al Swearingen for this part.

    Second Thought: I am really intrigued by Stonehill's comment, "The civilizing arts of commerce do not flourish there," referring to Indian Territory overrun by outlaws. Does Stonehill intend any irony in this statement? He doesn't seem to be the most civilized representative of commerce, and I never have (and certainly don't in this present economy) considered commerce to be a civilizing art. Mattie's interactions with commerce include a series of people who cheat her in big or little ways. I'm going to be watching for this as we proceed.

    Oh yeah, I classify myself theoretically as a literary Marxist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, my wife and I thought Deadwood, too. The language and the dark tone in Rooster Cogburn's back-of-the-Chinese-grocery room, especially. Definitely Deadwood. Ian McShane would great as Stonehill (in fact, he'd make a great Rooster Cogburn for that matter.

    Interesting catch for the irony in Stonehill's comment. I think you're probably right. He pretty much professes to hate Fort Smith and certainly wouldn't find it civilized.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Deadwood and agree with your comments about the dialect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a historical note on Old West, blackpowder calibers.

    Most of the time, when you see an Old West firearm's caliber listed, it's a pair of numbers.

    44-40, 30-30, 32-20, 45-70, etc. etc.

    The 44-40 of Rooster's revolver means that it had a diameter of of .44 inches inside the barrel, and the powder charge was 40 grains of blackpowder.

    Basically, the bigger the second number, the more powerful the cartridge, as the more powder it held.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this was my favorite one so far, at a couple times I couldn't help but laugh. Some of Cogburn's replies in the courtroom are PRICELESS! "MR. GOUDY: Which direction were you going? MR. COGBURN: I always go backwards when I'm backing up." "MR. GOUDY: The gun was pulled and ready in your hand? MR. COGBURN: Yes sir. MR. GOUDY: Loaded and cocked? MR. COGBURN: If it ain't loaded and cocked it will not shoot." I think this chapter may have piqued my interest the most. This book is way better than I expected. I don’t usually even read and I like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gotta say, Mattie definitely has some great negotiating skills. She was able to get Stonehill to buy back all those ponies.

    Yet when she goes to the courthouse looking for Rooster Cogburn I think she was a little intimidated by the crowd around her. Many people yelling things that aren't proper for a fourteen year old to be listening to. But she went with confidence in search of the Marshall.

    I think she would not let anyone get into her way of finding Tom Chaney. And it probably would get her into trouble some day.

    I'm really liking the story so far. This book is definitely a page turner from the start!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you, Nit! This chapter was my favorite so far. I really enjoy the real-life humor. It isn't the contrived stuff you see everywhere, it is just the natural comedy you would expect from everyday life. All the characters are interesting, each in a different way than the others. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes this book exudes a Deadwood vibe but it is unique because of the fact that Mattie Ross is telling the tale.
    Has anyone met a Yarnell? It was the first time i've seen that name.
    I was wondering about Cogburn and his intention in what seemed to be a grudge murder against those 2 boys and their father.
    Oh and the first mention of the title in the book was pg 55 "They tell me you are a man with true grit".
    Does taking a nap after you eat really beneficial? After looking thorough several studies, the main result is that napping after consuming a meal tend to lead to weight gain and poorer energy levels. It may be what animals do but for humans, it has alarming negative effects.
    Has anyone really looked into a cat's eyes? they seem so evil and i think Luke 8: 26-33 would be an excellent example that demons were put into certain farm animals whether it be pigs/horses or cats.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading the first five chapters. I read aloud to my husband and we both enjoyed the humor and Mattie’s attitude or spunk if you will. I found the language used a little difficult, some areas had me tongue twisted and stuttering and having to go back to see why I wasn’t understanding and having trouble only to realize that the book is the reason I was sounding ridiculous. I loved the courtroom scene it made me feel like I was in the room listening to the battle of words and the examinations. The author so far has been skilled, funny, and smart in his descriptions and the mood he sets.
    Krista

    ReplyDelete